Friday, January 21, 2011

My picks for best movies of 2010

My picks for best movies of 2010 are only movies I have seen so your favorite movie might not make it on the list.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the WorldScott Pilgrim vs. the world – Starring Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and Chris Evans. I think the reason this movie did so poorly is because it is for a niche market so unless you love old school video games or Michael Cera you probably weren’t a fan of this movie. I on the other hand, think video games are awesome, and I liked Michael Cera since his days on Arrested Development. Scott Pilgrim rocked for many reasons the awesome fight scenes, the constant video game / comic book references, and the trippy romantic scenes. At its core this movies is a love story to all of us who remember video games from the 80s and 90s.

Favorite quote – Gideon Gordan Graves: “Well, if my cathedral of cutting-edge taste holds no interest for your tragically Canadian sensibilities, then I shall be forced to grant you a swift exit from the premises... and a fast entrance into hell!”
 


The Sorcerer's ApprenticeThe Sorcerer’s Apprentice – Starring Nicolas Cage, Jay Baruchel and Alfred Molina. The plot for The Sorcerer’s Apprentice was pretty weak but made up for it with good special effects and a few funny scenes. The movie was overall light hearted and fun with Baruchel playing a nerdy guy trying to learn magic and Cage playing the old magician trying to teach him stuff through all the zany mishaps. It is a fun action / adventure / comedy suitable for the whole family.

Favorite quote – Dave Stutler: “Are you insane?”
(Balthazar thinks then holds up his fingers an inch apart)
Dave Stutler: “Little bit. Okay.”
 


Iron Man 2 (Single-Disc Edition)Iron Man 2 – Starring Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, and Don Cheadle. I really enjoyed Iron Man 2 but I knew that this movie wasn’t going to be anywhere near as good as the first one. The only thing that really bothered me about this movie is that Don Cheadle is playing James Rhodes (War Machine) instead of Terrence Howard. It threw off the continuity of the whole franchise. But, I think acting wise he did a good job its not easy stepping into someone else’s part. The best part of the movie besides the action would have to be Scarlett Johansson portrayal of The Black Widow. She was a smooth badass with some serious fighting skills and a latex outfit what’s not to like.

Favorite quote – Agent Coulson: to Tony Stark “If you try to escape, or play any sort of games with me, I will taze you and watch Supernanny while you drool into the carpet.”


Red (Special Edition)Red – Starring Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, and John Malkovich – Willis is a retired CIA agent and is being hunted down by the CIA. He decides to get his old team back together to fight back. This movie was awesome, I expected maybe a cool gun fight or two but that was it. I was pleasantly surprised there was comedy, drama, and Willis pulls off the coolest way to get out of a car ever. A witty, action comedy and with Helen Mirren pulling out a machine guy and taking people out was impressive.

Favorite quote – Frank Moses: “Open the Pig! Open the Pig!”

(Marvin unzips the pig, and pulls out a grenade launcher)


Shutter IslandShutter Island – Starring Leonard DiCaprio, Sir Ben Kingsley, and Mark Ruffalo. Shutter Island was directed by Martin Scorsese and with his name on the director's chair you know it will be a great film. This movie did not disappoint, DiCaprio's acting was perfect for this role. The island had a 'Lost' vibe due to the creepiness of it all. If I had one complaint the twist ending has been done a few too many times before but it still felt somewhat fresh due to Scorsese’s hand at the wheel

Favorite quote – Teddy Daniels: Which is worse, to live as a monster, or to die as a good man?
 


The Expendables (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)The Expendables – Starring Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, and Jet Li. Also starring Dolph Lundgren, Randy Couture, Steve Austin, Mickey Rourke, and Terry Crews (Or as he will always be known to me and my friends “Cheeseburger Eddie”). This movie is a wet dream for action movie fans. I cannot tell you how many times I have thought about all these stars in one movie. This is what every action movie wants to be it had: betrayal, a love story, and phenomenal explosions. I think the greatest fight was between Sylvester Stallone and Steve Austin it was epic; (It is worth the money for this fight scene Alone) I have nothing but praise for this movie It was great and I cannot wait for a sequel!

Favorite quote – Barney Ross: “What the hell’s he doing?”

Lee Christmas: “Hanging a pirate.”

Barney Ross: “Don’t be ridiculous. Gunnar! What are you doing?”

Gunnar Jensen: “Hanging a pirate.”

Toll Road: “That’s seriously demented.”


The Other Guys (The Unrated Other Edition)The Other Guys Starring Will Farrell, Mark Wahlberg and Samuel L. Jackson. This movie is hilarious. Mark Wahlberg plays a angst ridden cop almost all of New York hates and Will Farrell plays a cop who only ambition in life is to be a desk jockey. Wahlberg's character pulls Farrell out from behind the desk and gets him on the streets. The chemistry between Farrell and Wahlberg on screen is amazing and they both had perfect comedic timing the entire film. The argument about the fish and the tuna is something no one should miss. Buy this movie today you will thank me. I’m not putting my favorite quote since it is the tuna / lion argument and don't want to ruin it for you.


Second favorite quote – Allen Gamble: “Gator’s bitches better be using jimmies!”

Toy Story 3Toy Story 3 – Starring the voices of Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, and Joan Cusack. Toy Story is back and in a big way. Most franchises can't take an 11 year break between movies and still do well; this movie shattered the box office grossing over $414 million. This movie had all the old characters and added some new ones. One of the best villains this year was Lotso, a seemingly nice bear until he tortures Woody and friends and at one point literally tries to burn them to death. This movie was great for all ages I am 27 years old and I loved it, even my girlfriend who hates cartoons said she liked it. Toy Story 3 had everything comedy, suspense and of course some very touching moments. If you haven’t seen this movie yet get out from that rock you living under and watch it.

Favorite quote – Jessie: “Buzz! We’re your friends!”

Buzz Lightyear: “Spare me your lies, temptress! Your emperor's defeated, and I'm immune to your bewitching good looks.”


InceptionInception– Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Ellen Page. Inception is a psychological rollercoaster it takes most people two viewings to fully understand this movie's depth. The cast was excellent, the special effects were mind blowing, and the ending will leave you wanting more. This is one of the few movies I would love to see a sequel to, but know that nothing could ever compare to the original. Leonardo DiCaprio and his crew have the greatest job in the world they create new worlds and steal your thoughts without ever getting out of bed. I cannot say enough good things about this movie. Inception is a must own for any movie lover.

Favorite quote – Eames: “You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.”

(Pulls out a grenade launcher)

Now you have my picks for the best movie of 2010 if you have any movies you feel should be on the list leave me a comment and I will check it out. For an added bonus I will tell you my pick for worst movie of 2010.
 Worst Movie of 2010
A Nightmare on Elm Street A Nightmare on Elm Street– This movie was terrible Freddy Kruger’s didn’t even look scary, his trademark pre-murder banter was gone, and the guy who played him was so small he looked like a kid. I give this movie 2 thumbs way down.

Favorite quote – None this movie sucked!



Now you can buy anything I talk about at
A Random Guy's Store powered by Amazon. Check it Out!

3 comments:

  1. OK, where to begin ... I will admit that I've seen only one movie on your list and I didn't like it. No, it wasn't Nightmare. It was your #1 pick, Inception. Let me explain. I found the plot convoluted (note: I said that to a friend of mine. Convoluted does not mean confusing. Look it up.) I won't say it's a "bad" movie, you just can't get me to say that it's "good". That whole concept of being gravitationally ... yeah, I invented a word LOL ... challenged while the van was going into the river off the bridge somehow didn't correlate to the deeper levels of the dreams and the impact to "jar you awake" or whatever only affected one level of the dream. I just seemed to pick out some plot holes and that killed it for me. It did seem like a very intriguing concept, but I just couldn't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will not argue on a blog comment section I am too adult for that now. Some movies are not for everyone but watch the rest they are all good. except Nightmare. I hated that POS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you watch HINDI movies ???

    ReplyDelete